Puerperium - Anatomy & Physiology
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 12:34, 4 September 2008 by Lwilkie
- Immediately following parturition, the female enters a period of reproductive repair called the Puerperium and begins lactation. For a period of time these two processes overlap.
- During the puerperium uterine involution and return to ovarian function occurs.
- Involution is the reduction in size and remodelling of the endometrium so that the uterus can initiate and sustain another pregnancy.
- The time required for complete uterine involution and ovarian activity to resume varies among species.
- In many polyoestrous animals, the shortest possible puerperium is desirable because eligibility for a subsequent pregnancy is of high economic importance.