Puerperium - Bitch
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 18:42, 2 November 2012 by Cs344
Also see General Puerperium
Since the bitch is monocyclic, parturition is followed by anoestrus. The onset of the next oestrus is unpredictable.
- Regression of the corpora lutea of pregnancy is initially rapid.
- By 1-2 weeks postpartum, corpora lutea are reduced in size.
- Regression of corpora lutea after this period is much slower.
- Rate of involution is similar to other species.
- Uterine horns restored to their pregravid size by 4 weeks postpartum.
- Lochial discharge immediately postpartum.
- Green due to uteroverdin
- Changed to blood-stained mucoid discharge within 12 hours.
- Volume of lochia should be scant and resolves between 3 - 6 weeks post whelping.
- In the non-pregnant bitch, the surface of the endometrium undergoes desquamation followed by regeneration.
- Repair is complete by 120 days after the onset of oestrus.
- After pregnancy and normal parturition, the time taken for regeneration is ~ 2 weeks longer.
- Desquamation of the endometrial lining begins at 6 weeks postpartum and is complete by 7 weeks.
- The whole regeneration process is complete by 12 weeks postpartum.