Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Cryptococcus neoformans causing Cryptococcosis
- Causes a granulomatous rhinitis, gelatinous exudate, granulomatous pneumonia
- Nodules or destructive masses which often result in facial swelling
- In severe cases, extension from nasal cavity to involve skin and oral mucosa can occur
- Can invade through adjacent structures, eg: through the cribiform plate into the brain! These cases therefore can present as a primary neurological disease.
- Large number of fungi and only few macrophages, lymphocytes and giant cells