Puerperium - Bitch
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 17:07, 8 December 2010 by Bara (Created page with "Also see General Puerperium Since the bitch is monocyclic, parturition is followed by anoestrus. The onset of the next oestrus is unpredic...")
Also see General Puerperium
Since the bitch is monocyclic, parturition is followed by anoestrus. The onset of the next oestrus is unpredictable.
- Regression of the corpora lutea of pregnancy is initially rapid.
- By 1-2 weeks postpartum, corpora lutea are reduced in size.
- Regression of corpora lutea after this period is much slower.
- Rate of involution is similar to other species.
- Uterine horns restored to their pregravid size by 4 weeks postpartum.
- Lochial discharge immediately postpartum.
- Green due to uteroverdin
- Changed to blood-stained mucoid discharge within 12 hours.
- In the non-pregnant bitch, the surface of the endometrium undergoes desquamation followed by regeneration.
- Repair is complete by 120 days after the onset of oestrus.
- After pregnancy and normal parturition, the time taken for regeneration is ~ 2 weeks longer.
- Desquamation of the endometrial lining begins at 6 weeks postpartum and is complete by 7 weeks.
- The whole regeneration process is complete by 12 weeks postpartum.