Hepatitis, Lobular Dissecting
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rare cause of chronic liver failure in young dogs
- Less than 5yrs of age
- Standard poodle overrepresented
- Gross findings:
- Micronodular microhepatica, ascites, numerous portosystemic shunts
- Hepatic architecture disrupted by collagen and reticulin fibres separating the hepatic lobules into small clusters and individual cells
- Hepatocytes mutlifocally swollen, lightly eosinophilic, some binucleated.
- Variable nodular regeneration.
- Scattered necrotic cells and occasional foci of inflammation.
- Cu2+ accumulation not a consistent finding.
- Aetiology – possibly a specific reaction pattern in neonatal/juvenile liver .
- Copper toxicity
- Copper storage disease
- Infectious diseases such as Leptospria spp. and CAV-1.