Pre-copulatory Behaviour - Anatomy & Physiology
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Search for Sexual Partner
|Searching Behaviour||Approach Sexually Active group of Females,Test for Lordosis,Flehmen||Visual Search,Flehmen||Sniffing & Licking of Ano-Genital Region,Nudging Ewe,Flehmen||Moving among Females||Roaming around Territory||Prowling|
- Tactile stimuli from males is important in provoking sexual postures or standing postures by females.
- Stallion: Bites the neck or withers of the mare
- Tom: Bites the neck of the Queen
- Bull: Chin rests on the back of the cow just prior to mounting
- Vomeronasal organ is an accessory olfactory organ.
- Connected to two small openings in the anterior roof of the mouth just behind the upper lip.
- Fluid-borne, less volatile chemicals enter the vomeronasal organ through the oral cavity by means of nasopalatine (incisive) ducts.
- Some pheromones are less volatile and need to be detected by the vomeronasal organ.
- Bull, ram, stallion, some extent the boar.
- Male closely approaches the source of pheromones and will nuzzle the female genital region.
- Flehmen behaviour is characterized by:
- Head elevation
- Curling of the upper lip.
- Curling of the upper lip closes the nostrils and allows negative pressure to form in the nasopalatine duct.
- Flehmen behaviour allows less volatile pheromones to be examined by sensory neurons in the vomeronasal organ.
- As in the males, females will display flehmen to novel compounds such as fluids associated with the placenta, newborn animals and other volatile materials.
- Frequently displayed by post-parturient females as they make identity discriminations between their own versus other's neonates.
|Courtship Behaviour||Nuzzling & licking of perineal region, chin resting, testing for lordosis||High Degree of Excitement||Neck Outstretched,Head held Horizontally||Nuzzling,Teeth Grinding,Foams at Mouth||Sniffing,Licking of Vulva||Biting Queen on Dorsal Neck|
|Consummation Behaviour||Penile Protrusion,Dribbling of Seminal Fluid with few Spermatozoa,Erection,Attempted Mounts||Penile Protrusion,No Preejaculatory Expulsion of Seminal Fluid||Repeated Dorsal Elevation of Scrotum,Penile Protrusion,Dribbling of Seminal Fluid||Penile Protrusion,Shallow Pelvic Thrusts, Attempted Mounting||Erection,Protrusion of Penis,Mounting||Mounting|